A new project - 1969 MGB

Here is the MGB when I bought it.  My boys helped me make my purchase. It had sat there for 4? years since the PO bought it from a classic car junk yard for $3500.  I gave him $1000 and had it running with only an alternator, fuel pump, and battery. It is titled as a 1970 but appears to be a 1969 in the parts and design.

My older son asked if he could drive it to prom and the younger reminded him.  "Paul, remember what Dad said about when we could drive it if he buys it?"  Paul replied, "Oh yeah.  NEVER!"




​​
It isn't close to pretty yet but I work on one piece at a time and do it right.  I don't always use original mechanical components but I do a valid redesign on with each piece.  I am an engineer so I do have to make my mark on the car.  I do like everything else original.  I have learned over the years that a worn but working original piece is always better than a new repop. I do restoration for the love of the original design and like to collect a bunch of mismatched parts and make it whole again.

Currently I am working on the interior and bought a 60's dressmaker industrial sewing machine.  It would probably do leather so sewing door panels will be fine.  I found original period vinyl material at a thrift store in the form of replacement seat covers for a 70s Ford truck.  The black material has the same grain as the original material and cost all of $3 for a few yards.  Plus I can inspect it and see how to make a seat cover.  I have made the masonite door pattern and am sourcing the door clips.  I have all the door chrome which just needed cleaning up.  The original MGB parts were chromed really well and appear to be brass underneath.  The screws were poor though so I am replacing them with quality stainless fasteners.

We call the car Fleming or sometimes 007Fleming.  Even though Bond never drove an MGB he did ride in a rubbber bumper version with Mary Goodnight. Regardless, a wire wheel chrome bumper MGB is simply the Bond aesthetic.

Yep, my 69 has the big balloon dash without the glove box.  Mine looks terrible.  However the only new part I got with the car was a brand new, in bag, dash pad.  I kind of wished for a top until I looked at the comparative cost.  A new dash is so expensive I would have probably never bought it so I am so thankful that the car came with one because mine is so so ugly.

Here is a pic of the dash which includes the floor pans where the only real body work is needed. Sourced the floor pans yesterday at http://www.c2cfabrication.com/products/1968-80-mgb-front-floor-pan-lh for $90 each.  I hope shipping isn't crazy expensive.



The car had not run in several years so I went through the gas system and replaces hoses etc. It needed a new alternator so I put in the 110 amp saturn alternator.  Also the fuel pump was shot.  I replaced it with a more modern version and may add a spare. The gas filler pipe hose was cracked so I bought a foot and cut the 4 inches that I needed. I will use the rest on my 72 VW camper.

Here is my gas pump mount which has vibration isolation mounts and a valve to turn off the gas. I need to replace some of the hose with metal tubing.  I recently found my bender so I can make the installation more permanent and reliable.  I also have a extra filter here at the pump to keep the pump inlet filter totally clean.


Since I have a new dash I will be looking for nice switches eventually but right now I need working switches. I did just pick up both turn levers for the steering wheel.  They are in good shape and the plastic is black and glossy.  The cover is very discolored so I picked up some satin plastic paint.  I have to do some epoxy and fix some PO repairs and then I will paint it all as the first restoration in the interior.

I have the seat rails sitting in electrolysis right now to get the rust off.  I do need one seat rail as one is bent beyond repair.  I need one with the stop assuming the stops were on the same side of the car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of a 30 Year Old CNC Milling Machine

DIY CNC Milling Machine Control Panel for EMC2

Power Supply for CNC