Tooling and Retrofit Status

Before I go much further I should note that I am new to CNC and machining in general. Which means I have no tooling. I do have a good set of import drills and a set of inexpensive end mills but no test indicator, to tool holders, etc.

One of the first things I looked at when I got the machine was the taper. These machines came with 2 types of Quick Connect tapers, either QC#30 or Kwik Switch 200. My machine has Kwik Switch 200 which according to users of CNCZone is far superior to R8. Unfortunately tool holders are not as common as R8 or as inexpensive.

The first tool holding device I acquired (or am acquiring) is a keyless chuck and a 1JT Kwik Connect 200 adapter.



This is what the one that I won in auction looks like. Although I did win the auction a while back, I have still not received the adapter. I first bought a 1JT adapter but plan on getting a 2JT and 3JT adapters. I also bought a 5/15" keyless chuck for the 1JT and will get a 3/8" for a 2JT but for the 3JT I will get a Jacobs 14N as they come highly reviewed.

I would also like to have some collet holders and collet sets. The machine came with 2 Universal collet holders with 3/4" collets. This disappointed me some to have such a big size collet until I learned that many types of tooling come with a 3/4" shank such as fly cutters. There are quite a few sets on Ebay with 3/4" shanks fairly cheap (<$40). But one of the first things I did when I got the machine was research collets sets. For Kwik Switch 200 there are 2 collet types that are available commonly. Universal had a Double Taper type that is the same as the tooling that came with the machine. Then there is a Acura-Flex type that is also common. Actually there are a few Acura collet types (Acura-Flex, Acura-Mill, Acura-Grip, and Acura-Tap) but the flex seems to be the most common. Shortly after I bought the machine 3 complete sets of collets came available on Ebay. Two sets of 3/8" collets and a set of 3/4" collets. I was able to win all three. I immediately bought the 2 available Kwik Connect 200 3/8" collet holders off Tools and Gizmos.

Since I will be working in small tool sizes at first I put off buying the 3/4" tool holders as they seem more common anyway. I will buy another couple 3/8" collet chucks when they are available. The pic below is the 3/4" collet set. The owner claims to have used the 3/4" collet only once and lists the set as "New".



The 3/8" sets are also still in the "box" but have had use.




Next stop will be a purchase at Enco for assorted items and some Vactra #2 Way Lube which is on sale. One thing that I am purchasing are Mason Neoprene Mounts in the 500-1000 lb range. I am unsure how to get the machine off the floor to install them however. I have seen some nice mobile bases at Grizzly but nothing that would do 2600lbs. It would be nice to have a base with casters that could be moved around in the garage.

I am looking at the Automation Direct GS2 Variable Frequency Drive for the spindle motor. It is well documented at least and can be purchased new. Also, the installation manual for EMC2 lists a driver for the device. A 2hp GS2 lists for $241.

I tried EMC2 in the computer that came with the machine. With only 256Mb of memory and a 800 MHz Duron the computer scored >5,000,000 in latency in the EMC2 test so it looks like I need to find a bit faster machine to use for CNC control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maintenance of a 30 Year Old CNC Milling Machine

DIY CNC Milling Machine Control Panel for EMC2

Power Supply for CNC